401khelpcenter.com Logo

Frequently Asked Question

Can I rollover my U.S. 401k into a U.K. pension scheme when I return home to the U.K.?

Answer: A U.S. 401k plan is not a "qualified" plan in the U.K. therefore a 401k can't generally be rolled into some type of U.K. pension scheme. But, this is not a "do-it-yourself" area of pension law and you should check with an attorney that knows this area and the treaties involved.

Here is some background reading that will be of interest:

US-UK Tax Treaty Liberalizes Cross-Border Pension Treatment

IRS Publication 515, Withholding of Tax on Nonresident Aliens and Foreign Corporations, includes a list of tax treaties and several other tables of tax treaty information.

This is for educational purposes only. The information provided here is intended to help you understand the general issue and does not constitute any tax, investment or legal advice. Consult your financial, tax or legal advisor regarding your own unique situation and your company's benefits representative for rules specific to your plan.

About | Glossary | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact Us

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.